How To Deal With That Winter Dry Skin

I know you probably have read that title and scoffed at me.  What does Amanda know about Winter? Well I swear I did have 18 years of Winters when I lived outside of Boston plus an additional year+ when I lived in Philadelphia for Grad school.  I do know about Winters.  I also know that once I had the chance to hightail it back to FL….I did.
In all seriousness FL has been “cold” lately.  I use that term loosely of course.  In addition to being “cold” it has also been very dry. My face has been flaking and dry right along with my scalp.  I have been trying everything to exfoliate and lotion up like crazy so my wedding makeup will actually go on nicely and not attract up onto that dry mess.  This has been my new Winter routine that I thought I’d share.
Wash
With this none drying Fresh soy cleanser that wipes all traces of makeup.  I have the small size.  It’s amazing and worth it.
Gently Exfoliate
This BareMinerals Exfoliating Treatment Cleanser has seriously been the biggest game changer in the whole regimen. There are no “scrubbers” per se in this just active minerals that does the best job exfoliating without making your face all raw/irritated.  It tightens your pores also.  You can use it twice a week as a mask which I haven’t tried yet but it’s on the list.  This would be the takeaway top player with helping get rid of that dry skin on the face.  Like gone after a few uses.  Miracle worker.
Bigger Guns Exfoliate
I thought with my sensitive skin I would get all red and irritated after using these Peter Thomas Roth peel pads but surprisingly they were gentle enough.  Love how smooth my skin is after use.  One pad is enough for my face, neck, chest and top of my hands.
Then Slab This On Next

I was for sure coconut oil would break my skin out but it didn’t.  I couldn’t believe it.  A little goes a long way and it absorbs quickly.  Get it here through prime.  I’ve also been using it on all my various skin lacerations……and they are healing beautifully.
If Needing Extra Help Add This On Top
There are a few areas around my nose and cheeks that need even more moisturizing.  Loving this BareMinerals Purely Nourishing Cream and no problems with breakouts (clearly you can tell there is a common theme with me and anything I put on my face).  If you can swing it…..this is the ultimate.  I have a few samples from a precious fairy godmother and they have lasted forever.  It is the real deal, lives up to the hype and banishes dry skin during the Winter months.
Around the Eyes
Coconut oil and this on top.  Also if you could swing the above related mentionable……that is also a double duty fighter for around the eyes.  Also this eye mask is amazing.
Don’t Forget those Lips
Have you tried it yet?  Are you as addicted as Julie and I are?
For The Dry Ends
This BBB spray makes your hair and ends as soft as before you started coloring it ;-)  I mean……that doesn’t apply all but totally makes my ends so shiny.  You can also try it in a small travel size.
Don’t Forget Those Hands
One of these in my purse at all times.

Most Importantly Chug That Water
I mean it’s time with all the forced heat on to add one more water serving a day.  Lids with straws are always the best.
Alright there are some of my winter faves!  What do you use when you are battling the dry winter skin?  xoxoxoxo

1. February 10, 2015 / 5:44 AM

I have never had issues chugging water before but this winter it has been difficult for me! My skin is letting me know it too!

2. February 10, 2015 / 8:04 AM

Winter skin is a tough lil mama. All of your tips are great, chugging water is so key. I like doing hydrating mask every once in a while to help my skin.

3. February 10, 2015 / 10:49 AM

Great tips and I rely almost solely on coconut oil. I actually use it as my face wash. I want to look into the Peter thomas roth products. They look really good. I love egyptian magic too, but I am currently all out! xo

4. February 10, 2015 / 11:38 AM

Awesome tips! My face seems to get the most dry-ness (right in my T-zone) even tho I moisturize, etc. So these are some awesome tips :)

5. February 10, 2015 / 11:49 AM

i’m a dry skin master ninja and these are the things that keep my skin soft and hydrated:

1) eat right, including 1/2 avocado errday
    2) tons of water
    3) my skin products: hydrating serum, argan oil, moisturizer.
    4) plenty of sleep
    5) sleep with a humidifier if you have the heat on in your house

6. February 10, 2015 / 11:59 AM

Well as someone that is looking at their hands turning to dust almost in front of me, I really love aveeno lotion too…it’s a life saver and for the lips I love chapstick day and night dual stick!! That eye gel sounds amazing – definitely going to check it out! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

7. February 10, 2015 / 12:33 PM

im not a fan of the fresh face wash (i think bc of the cucumber scent!) but i do want to get some coconut oil! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

8. February 10, 2015 / 12:58 PM

good tips girl! and it CAN get cold here :) love anything from fresh – i’m going to have to try some of this! xo

9. February 10, 2015 / 1:10 PM

all great tips! i’ve read a lot about coconut oil and think i will try some. how often do you do the regular exfoliater? i’m always afraid i’ll over do it and dry my face out even more if that’s even possible.

10. February 10, 2015 / 1:16 PM

I’m living on the Josie Maran winter kit right now! Also the GlamGlow Thirsty Mud leave-on mask. Can’t wait to try your recommendations!

11. February 10, 2015 / 1:23 PM

It’s true, it has been “cold” here lately and the heat is doing a number on my skin! I’ve been wanting to try L’Occitane products, that hand lotion looks awesome! I’ve really been doing better with my water lately and hoping to keep it up, I know that makes such a huge difference!

12. February 10, 2015 / 1:28 PM

I was kind of thinking “when does her skin get dry in FL?” Haha. Cannot stand prickly, itchy, dry skin. I started using this Vaseline Intensive Care lotion and its working well. I wanted something more intensive than my St. Ives lotion. That coconut lotion sounds nice for your face too. I use a Neutragena hand cream that’s awesome too. Oh winter.. sigh.

13. February 10, 2015 / 1:34 PM

This helps for dry tropical weather too. Im taking these tips haha

14. February 10, 2015 / 1:46 PM

These are great tips and product recommendations – that Fresh soy cleanser and bareMinerals cleansing treatment seem like winners! I’m a huge fan of the Maybelline Dr. Rescue Balms, they definitely do their job!

15. February 10, 2015 / 2:12 PM

This is the first winter that my face has gotten dry. I have really oily skin most of the time but this winter my nose and chin have been dry while my forehead remains oily. I’ll have to try some of this stuff out.

16. February 10, 2015 / 2:17 PM

I have been slathering on any and every hydration cream, lip product, hand lotion I can get my hands on. So ready to move on to the next season! Lids with straws, the best! The only way I can consume enough water in a day!

17. February 10, 2015 / 2:41 PM

oh yes coconut oil. and i loooove the coconut butter cream from tj’s. i slather on so many products each night it’s like i’m mummifying myself.

18. February 10, 2015 / 2:47 PM

I’ve been using coconut oil on my face to combat the dry skin too! It works wonders and smells so good!

19. February 10, 2015 / 2:52 PM

I need to try coconut oil on my face. That will be happening tonight! You have never recommended a product or given me a tip that wasn’t awesome!

20. February 10, 2015 / 2:57 PM

I’ve been having the coconut oil debate on my mind for some time now. We cook with it, it smells fantastic, we oil pull. I don’t know what’s stopping me. Perhaps it’s my naturally oily skin and acne prone skin. I’m scuuuured.

21. February 10, 2015 / 3:13 PM

My lips, hair, face, hands, nails, feet, skin, (whole body) can’t get ENOUGH moisture. I’m so over cold weather! Dove Winter Care has been my savior.

22. February 10, 2015 / 3:15 PM

Sweet tea counts as water…right? ;)
    I keep hearing such good things about Dr. Rescue. Have you tried any of the Lush lip scrubs? They’re wonderful.

23. February 10, 2015 / 3:36 PM

I love the Soy Face Cleanser! I just used a sample I got in the mainland it is the best one I have ever used!!

24. February 10, 2015 / 3:54 PM

Oh friend, I wish I could get my face under control. It is just ridiculous how out of control the break out is, and I am making my face so dry using harsh stuff to combat the trouble spots. Sigh.

25. February 10, 2015 / 4:16 PM

I swear by clinique face washes and moisturizers because they are hypo allergenic (which I have to have).

26. February 10, 2015 / 4:16 PM

I only use three products on my face (I’m a hippie and wash it with orange oil… BEST thing ever) but I can attest to that hand cream being aaaaaaamazing. Hands down, the best. (See what I did there?!)

27. February 10, 2015 / 4:46 PM

definitely checking out the eye mask – i need all the help i can get ;)

28. February 10, 2015 / 4:55 PM

I never knew Bare Minerals made so many skin care products! I’ve been using a Peter Thomas Roth gel mask on my dry patches and it’s been doing wonders – I’m definitely going to check out more from the line because I’d never heard of it before!

29. February 10, 2015 / 4:58 PM

OMG! I am so dry lately! I have been looking for a new eye cream! I am going to give that one a shot! Thanks for the recommendation!

30. February 10, 2015 / 5:09 PM

I love those hand lotions! A good, thick lotion is a MUST have for someone who works in any kind of medical field. I’m sure I wash my hands 100 times a day. Blah!

31. February 10, 2015 / 5:23 PM

Above all the creams, lotions, sprays and oils – that water will do a body GOOD! :)

32. February 10, 2015 / 5:38 PM

My hands are a mess right now, lots of cocoa butter and drinking lots of water. Coconut oil works really well too.

33. February 10, 2015 / 5:48 PM

What a great post! (and so needed with this weather of course) A lot of these products are new to me and I’ll have to add a few to my must-try list for sure! Thanks for sharing!

34. February 10, 2015 / 5:55 PM

So many great products that I’ve never tried!! The dry skin battle is real and it sucks. If you are having problems with your scalp flaking, I started using a couple drops of tea tree oil this winter and it has made a HUGE difference!

35. February 10, 2015 / 6:30 PM

Great picks! And I hear ya… after living in Connecticut for 26 years, as soon as I got the chance to hightail it to Florida I did and never looked back :-D

I’ve been hearing nothing but wonderful things about coconut oil, I think it’s time for me to jump on that train!

36. February 10, 2015 / 6:50 PM

Those PTR peel pads sound really nice- I’m always on the hunt for something gentle that will still exfoliate!

37. February 10, 2015 / 7:10 PM

I got the dry ends spray last month when I went to the salon. It’s a great de-tangler and helps keep the static at bay!

38. February 10, 2015 / 7:15 PM

Love reading about all your picks! I’m scared to try coconut oil because I’m afraid my face will break out too, but I might just have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing!

39. February 10, 2015 / 7:19 PM

Love these picks. I like to use a variety of face oils during the winter. My FAV is a black rose face oil from Sisley!

40. February 10, 2015 / 7:58 PM

I really need to be better about water.

41. February 10, 2015 / 8:08 PM

I am so excited to get my Frankincense essential oil soon to make my moisturizer with coconut oil! I’ve been so afraid of breakouts, but now I’m definitely going to try it.

42. February 10, 2015 / 8:37 PM

So, I have been seriously thinking about the FRESH brand lately… I have sensitive skin, so I am a little worried to try it. I think hydrating is so much easier with a straw… why is that? :)

43. February 10, 2015 / 9:26 PM

I’ve got to pick up some coconut oil after hearing it helps with scars! I’m the worst at picking at my face and need all the help I can get now :(

44. February 11, 2015 / 1:00 PM

PTR makes some of the best stuff out there. love the peels and masks from that brand!

45. February 11, 2015 / 3:36 PM

I so need to pick up some coconut oil!! My skin has been so dry, thanks to all the cold and snow. I have been using that hand cream every day. Totally worth it.

46. February 11, 2015 / 4:58 PM

I’ll have to try the BareMinerals cleanser! I love the Kate Sommerville Exfolikate scrub. It does amazing things for my skin.

47. February 11, 2015 / 8:39 PM

My skin gets super dry during the winter (but is somehow still oily??), I need to check these out – I’m really intrigued by the PTR exfoliation pads!