How to Transition Maxi Dresses

I love a good maxi dress.  It’s basically the yoga pants of dresses in my books.  However, when it’s not 90+ degrees out in blazing Florida, sometimes I feel a little bit too exposed with them on.  You know what I mean?  Just a lot of upper body skin going on, especially when dining out.  Where you raised with the “shoulders must be covered at restaurants/church/outings” mentality?  It still does ring true for me. Why I always have a light cardigan in my car to cover the shoulders.  The other day, Mark and I headed over to our favorite brunch spot Roux and I really wanted to wear my new Joie maxi that I got at a major discount……like 70% off retail.  Even though the temps are warming up, it still isn’t full maxi dress only weather yet.  Well, here is one of my favorite styling techniques.  Take that favorite neutral button down, mine is this chambray top (under $50!) and knot that bad boy right over the top of it.  Voila, how to transition that Summery maxi for the Spring and keep the etiquette police happy by covering those shoulders indoors.  I added a simple pendant drop necklace, my favorite Tory Burch Miller sandals and this Tory Burch satchel bag.  Limited quantities here but similar here.  Such a great bag, fits my blogging camera and has a cross body strap.

Joie tribal maxi dressJoie Maxi dresstribal dress, Joie Maxi dresstribal dress JoieJoie Maxi and Chambray topJoie Maxi dresschambray top and maxi dress

Tory Burch satchel

Maxi Dress || Joie on major sale here (TTS, I’m wearing a small)

Chambray top || Nordstrom here steal under $25 here

Sunnies || Karen Walker here steal under $25 here

Black Bag || Tory Burch satchel limited quantities here similar here

Pendant Necklace || Nordstrom here

Sandals || Tory Burch here

Total weekend chic wear right?  Make sure to check back at noon for the announcement of the finalists of the SHOPBOP giftcards.  The first ones to email me back will be the winners!  Also, make sure to check my post yesterday for your complete SHOPBOP Friends & Family 2016 shopping guide!  What do you have your eye on?

shopbop

Follow my looks along on Instagram || Get my latest blog posts daily to your email here
Pin along with me on Pinterest || Like Meet @ the Barre on Facebook || Check my latest tweet here

1. April 5, 2016 / 3:18 AM

This make this fun and appropriate for work because my shoulders will be covered!!

2. April 5, 2016 / 6:17 AM

Definitely a great way to extend the life of a maxi dress and with a denim jacket too!! That hat looks great on you! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

3. April 5, 2016 / 6:52 AM

Love the chambray shirt to help transition from the chillier days. And I love your whole look, as always :)

4. April 5, 2016 / 7:51 AM

I love styling maxi’s for various seasons so you can get more wear out of them! Such a cute Tory bag lady!

5. April 5, 2016 / 8:40 AM

Love that dress!! SO cute with the hat too. The only maxi dresses that I have I bought in Singapore. Because they were short enough for me. :-) I hear you on the shoulder thing too. That chambray is super cute with it and a nice alternative instead of a cardigan or jacket. :-)

6. April 5, 2016 / 10:00 AM

Such a lovely dress and adding the chambray top just gives it an extra flare! Love, love your hat! Looking beautiful, Amanda!

7. April 5, 2016 / 10:22 AM

Love this!! I always feel too beachy in Maxis, but never thought to add a nice shirt over it.

8. April 5, 2016 / 10:29 AM

Love that dress and so cute paired with that top! Would you believe that I have yet to find a maxi dress that I like enough on me to purchase? Makes me sad because everyone else is rocking them!!! Maybe this will be my year!

9. April 5, 2016 / 11:01 AM

I’m all about a little crop sweater too with maxi dresses…
    they are the most comfy. Like wearing a night gown in public & getting away with it :)

10. April 5, 2016 / 11:19 AM

Love the styling! Random question, how does your watch band look so much newer and cleaner than mine? Do you do something to care for it or have you ordered a new one? Mine is totally a different color now.

11. April 5, 2016 / 11:29 AM

Chambray is PERFECT for that reason. I love popping it over dresses.

12. April 5, 2016 / 11:48 AM

Absolutely love this! I always have such a hard time with transitioning from winter to spring- this is too cute!

13. April 5, 2016 / 11:54 AM

Yes! This is the perfect way to transition a maxi dress – I love knotting up chambray shirts.

14. emelia
    April 5, 2016 / 11:56 AM

I love maxi dresses so much, I have so many. I love them with jean jackets and light cardigans…totally need a chambray shirt now too!

15. Shannon
    April 5, 2016 / 11:56 AM

Love love love this maxi! It is so adorable with the chambray top too! So cute!

<3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

16. April 5, 2016 / 2:26 PM

Super cute! I would have never thought to do that. Love it!

17. April 5, 2016 / 3:04 PM

i have seen the chambray over a maxi but never tried it. i will definitely try it soon! one of the things i struggle with this time of year – and in fall – is wanting to wear maxis but being cold. my favourite thing is to wear leggings underneath, no one can see but i’m nice and warm hahaha.

18. April 5, 2016 / 5:50 PM

Oh my goodness I love this idea so much for transitioning a maxi from day to evening! I have that feeling too that sometimes I’m too exposed up top, but that chambray top is such a cute idea! I can’t wait to try it out this summer!

19. April 5, 2016 / 9:30 PM

Love how versatile a maxi dress can be, my favorite look is pairing a maxi with a chambray button up. How cute is that hat too!

20. April 6, 2016 / 8:30 AM

First off that dress is SO pretty and I love how you transitioned it. I agree. When it’s hot on, the only thing I really want to wear are maxi dresses, but I also tend to get cold when we go out to restaurants, so putting something over it would be perfect for me!

21. April 6, 2016 / 12:15 PM

Maxis are my absolute favorite piece of clothing, you can never have too many. Love your chambray with your maxi, what a fun and unique outfit! Xo

22. Darcy
    April 6, 2016 / 12:29 PM

Oo I love this with the chambray tied over it! Great way to get more use out of your pieces!

23. April 6, 2016 / 1:20 PM

I’m a huge fan of tying button ups (in case you missed my Insta!) and think this is such a cute look! Love the print on that maxi too. In Texas, it’s actually TOO HOT to wear a maxi all summer long! Terrible, I tell you. But spring, heck yes, maxi weather all the way!

24. April 6, 2016 / 1:32 PM

Cute! Love the hat and chambray. For whatever reason (perhaps the jersey blend?) all my maxis have seemed to shrink length over time so I’m having to toss out past faves. I do have one silk Lilly Pulitzer one that I love love love and wore on Easter Sunday. Just threw a cardigan over it and I felt church-apprope. Long hair also seems to make me feel better about exposing my back or shoulders these days. It’s like a built-in security blanket!

25. April 6, 2016 / 2:21 PM

Cute!! Love the way you styled it. If it’s above 70 degrees here it’s maxi weather, haha!

26. April 6, 2016 / 2:58 PM

I usually throw on a denim jacket with a maxi when it’s still cool out, but the chambray shirt on top is a great alternative! Thank you friend ;)

27. April 7, 2016 / 8:43 AM

I can totally take these tips with the awkward weather we’re having in the North. I too LOVE maxi dresses! However I often find myself “meh” over the prints. Some are just way too loud for me. I love the print of yours! Neutral yet interesting with a lovely color palette! (:

28. April 7, 2016 / 11:59 AM

Loving this that dress with the jacket over it! I always forget that that is a good way to extend the wear of your dresses–good for places like Wisconsin (the opposite of Florida) where it only starts getting warm in July! And those Tory Burch Millers are my favorites–I am wearing them nonstop here in Vegas. Walked 4 miles in them today!

xo
    Annie

29. April 7, 2016 / 5:20 PM

I LOVE how you paired it with the top!!!!!

30. Julie Joy
    April 11, 2016 / 10:22 PM

Great idea! I like this so much better than a jean jacket!

31. June 4, 2016 / 10:11 AM

Exprimarea apartine autorului Emilian ISAILA,Victor Ponta, ÅŸanse mici să rămână premier. De ce?“ÃŽn acest moment, ne place sau nu, Traian Băsescu e singura punte de comunicare între România ÅŸi ţările civilizate. Asta îi oferă un avantaj strategic imens în faÅ£a adversarilor săi politici, percepuÅ£i în Occident ca duÅŸmani ai statului de drept. ”Iata inca un motiv in plus a vota ARD !!!ARD reprezinta viitorul ROMANIEI in UE cu lumea MODERNA !!!USL izoleaza ROMANIA si compromite viitorul NATIUNII !!!