Investment Pieces – A Staple Black Maxi Dress

Before maxi dresses became the norm and the yoga pant of the dress world, my favorite maxi dress designer was Rachel Pally.  You cannot beat the drape and weight of the fabrics.  I have had some of her pieces for years and they still look as good as the first day I bought them.  They are quality staple investment pieces that will stand the test of time.  Rachel Pally pieces are some of my favorites to travel with because of the zero wrinkle factor.  I will say they do arrive long, so either wear with some tall wedges or you will have to get them hemmed.  You can always find them on sale, either on 6pm, Nordstrom Rack or Gilt.

I have been looking for a new black Summer maxi that is low maintenance and not too low cut.  Well my search is over when I found the Evan Dress.  I love how you can keep this simple or dress it up with a statement necklace (favorite one now on sale!) or earrings.  This dress is ultra slimming and how gorgeous are the back details right?  Just enough sexy right?

Rachel Pally Maxi Dressrachel pally maxi dressRachel Pally Black Maxi Dressrachel pally maxi Rachel Pally Maxirachel pally maxi dressrachel pally maxi dress rachel pally maxi dressrachel pally maxi dressrachel pally maxi dress

Black Maxi Dress ||| c/o Rachel Pally find here on sale similar here and here

Sunnies ||| Karen Walker on sale here c/o DITTO.  Have you signed up for your first free month yet with the code MEETATTHEBARRE.  Seriously, it’s the best monthly subscription ever.

Leather Tote ||| c/o Coach find here similar budget friendly here and love this one

Rose Gold watch ||| c/o Kapten and Son find here

Lip Color ||| Laura Mercier Fuchsia Mauve find here

Shop This Post!

You can also shop all my Instagram looks by signing up for LiketoKNOWit.  All you have to do is register on liketoknowit with your email, you will never receive spam through it.  Then when you follow me on Instagram and are digging something I’m wearing simply “like” the picture and all the details on where to buy will be sent to your email.  I usually put my looks up the day before the blog post goes live, so you will have first dibs on sizing and sales!  You know I have that magic ability of finding pieces that sell out quickly.  Sign up now so you don’t miss out!  I’ve also updated my headers on the top of my blog page.  You can shop all my latest lusts (like all my under $50 shopping guides) by hovering over the LIKETOKNOWIT tab!  Happy shopping dolls.

Follow my looks along on Instagram || Get my latest blog posts daily to your email here
Pin along with me on Pinterest || Like Meet @ the Barre on Facebook || Check my latest tweet here

Thank you to my sweet friend Julie for snapping these gorgeous pics for me!! xoxoxo

1. May 19, 2016 / 7:20 AM

You can never go wrong with a good black maxi. I am currently on the hunt for a new one since I wore my old one to death. I will have to check out the Evan. I am also in love with your Coach bag. They have the best brown leather color!

Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

2. May 19, 2016 / 7:47 AM

This dress is classic and beautiful! I have yet to find a maxi dress that I like on me but I haven’t given up hope that there is one out there. Next time I am at Nordstrom Rack, I will have to see if I can find this brand!

3. May 19, 2016 / 8:22 AM

I swear by Rachel Pally dresses! Not only are they crazy comfortable, they really withstand the test of time!

4. May 19, 2016 / 8:30 AM

Wrinkle free?! Sounds like heaven! Gotta love perfect staple pieces like this dress! Love it!

5. May 19, 2016 / 8:37 AM

LOVE! I may need that dress haha. I would have to get it shortened though, but whatever. It would be perfect for me to wear to work or for fun. Thanks for sharing lady! :-)

6. Chesson @ Magnolia & Main
    May 19, 2016 / 8:42 AM

Oh I love the back of this black maxi dress! I’ve got a black maxi dress that I love because you can keep it casual or easily dress it up for a date night. They’re great dresses to have in your closet!

7. Biana
    May 19, 2016 / 8:45 AM

I totally agree with an all black maxi!! I bought one from F21 of all places 6 years ago and it’s still my favorite!! Super cute new tote!

8. May 19, 2016 / 9:13 AM

That dress looks like it could even be tall/long enough for me! But it’s a no go with the back detail. I love it but if I can’t wear a bra, game over. Until I stop nursing. Then game {back} on! ;)

9. May 19, 2016 / 9:16 AM

I love that maxi! Of course it is Rachel Pally–she doesn’t ever fail! And how you styled it–with the bag, the tulips, the shot! Perfection!

10. May 19, 2016 / 10:09 AM

This one was MADE for you – the cuts & length? Gorgeous & perfect!

11. May 19, 2016 / 10:33 AM

I absolutely love this dress! You never can go wrong with a black maxi, and the material on this one looks so luxe.

12. May 19, 2016 / 10:46 AM

I love the back! Super cute. I used to always travel in a maxi until I had to get a complete pat down because of it! Umm no thanks. They said they do that to everyone wearing long dresses. I was like …. Where would it be hiding?! :)

13. May 19, 2016 / 10:50 AM

I love this!! It would be a great long haul flight outfit with a cardigan too!

14. May 19, 2016 / 11:08 AM

What a great maxi dress! You can never go wrong with a black staple piece. Haha, it’s so true, maxi dresses are the yoga pants of the dress world. Beautifully Candid

15. May 19, 2016 / 11:19 AM

I love the cut of this dress, and the cutout in the back is awesome!

16. May 19, 2016 / 11:25 AM

I love the back of that dress! Just enough sexy. :)

17. May 19, 2016 / 12:12 PM

Rachel Pally makes some of the best maxi dresses. This one is gorgeous on you! I need a new black maxi this year, might need to try this one on.

18. May 19, 2016 / 12:24 PM

Too chic, lady- definitely need one of these dresses in my life!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

19. May 19, 2016 / 12:48 PM

You seriously can never go wrong with a black maxi! I love mine and wear it a lot – in so many different ways, too!

20. May 19, 2016 / 12:57 PM

Love the look! I have a black maxi that is a bit low cut in the front that I need to replace. I wish I could get the one you are wearing! Damn budget! A trip to the Nordstrom Rack is in order to find something similar!

21. May 19, 2016 / 1:41 PM

I love these pictures of you! That dress is so fabulous!

22. May 19, 2016 / 2:32 PM

This dress is stunning! I love Rachel Pally pieces. Every single thing I have bought has lasted me years and never goes out of style. Perfection!

23. sydney
    May 19, 2016 / 3:09 PM

I love the fit of this dress!
    xo, Syd
    anchoredinthesouth.com

24. May 19, 2016 / 4:24 PM

A perfect fitting black maxi is a must have for every closet! Loving the back on this one!

25. Emelia
    May 19, 2016 / 4:47 PM

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m obsessed with black maxi’s. I own about 7. They’re classic and can be worn so many ways! This one is so pretty, and that back is to die for. You wear it so well…love!

26. May 19, 2016 / 5:12 PM

That’s the perfect black maxi for summer, and the detailing on the back is so cute! I also love the fact that Rachel Pally dresses don’t wrinkle, which definitely makes them perfect for travel, like you said!

27. May 20, 2016 / 8:19 AM

Seriously getting this dress right now. I have been searching high and low for a black maxi. Question… is it long enough? I’m 5’8/5’9 and I cannot STAND when maxis don’t touch the ground!!!

28. May 21, 2016 / 2:00 PM

Oooh, love the back!! Love long dresses for a slimming, ultra-chic look! Can’t go wrong with black.

29. May 24, 2016 / 10:53 AM

Looks like its time to grab a black maxi! You look so great!

30. May 26, 2016 / 5:47 AM

So beautiful! This dress looks so comfortable, too. And that back detail is just the perfect amount of something special on a black maxi dress. I love the brown bag against the black, too. Great outfit!

Shelbee

31. May 26, 2016 / 7:10 AM

ooooh so pretty! they don’t wrinkle and they arrive long?! LONG? off to buy me one!

32. May 26, 2016 / 8:47 AM

Seriously, it looks like the yoga pants of dresses. So cute.
    I steer away from maxi dresses because I’m only 5 feet tall and all would need to be hemmed. But I get so jealous of the ease of them! I’m more a romper girl. Who needs separates in the summertime, amirite?

xoxo