It got me to thinking. Why are we so hard on ourselves for real? Do you ever hear men talking about their jean sizes or if they are having an ugly day. No because they don’t care. They are more concerned about what beer they are going to get to bring to softball instead of worrying about if they have dark circles under their eyes.
We all do so much! Successful careers, great providers, mothers, scholars, the list goes on. We take care of ourselves and everyone around us. Always trying the best DIY, trying to save money, cook dinner, get in one more workout and at the end of the day it never seems enough for us. I am speaking from experience because I am the hardest on myself. So today I encourage everyone to do 4 things.
1. Tell me something that you love about yourself
2. Tell me what you want to work on
3. Give someone a compliment and mean it
4. Tell me something that you are proud of, succeeded in or are just generally pumped about.
To answer my own questions
1. I love my hair. I love how long and strong it is. It is so fun to put into waves, braids or whatever my little heart desires.
I cut it once in college and I’m still traumatized.
I also once dyed it brown because my mother always guilts me into going darker. It took me a year to get back to blonde and I cried in the beginning. It was just so weird seeing myself look completely different with the dark locks. We are finally in a happy compromise with this darker blonde. I do agree mom there were some very white/blonde years. Looking back we were both probably a little too blonde here….in my defense I think there was a flash involved!
I did get a brown wig for those moments when I ever feel like experimenting…..much cheaper way to go.
2. I have really been actively working on this one but I’m trying to be less absent minded. As y’all know I try to do 50 million things at once and sometimes I’m so preoccupied that in the end some things can fall through the cracks. I’m trying to pay more attention to when people are talking to me and take note of important dates. I’m writing things down and triple checking my planner. I’m also trying not to overextend myself. I use to always say yes to picking up an extra class or two, going to that drug rep dinner etc. All that did was run me ragged. Now I’m trying to buffer in some mental health time and it has really made a huge difference!
3. I love giving random strangers compliments and mean it. First because the look on their face when being recognized is seriously the best feeling and two just putting out good vibes. My compliment to the blogging world is to Ashley. I absolutely adore her style. She is one of my daily reads and she seriously has the most impeccable taste. You can tell she isn’t trying to hard, it just comes naturally to her. I always love seeing all her fashion and currently loving posts.
4. I am really proud about how good I have been with my finances. My goal was to not have any “debt” by the time Mark and I got married. I have officially paid off my Grad school loans to UPenn!!!! It took 7 years but I did it! My car is almost paid off, I’ve been paying almost double the payment for the last year. My interest rate is so low that it doesn’t make sense to pay the whole thing off but I’m so close! I’ve been toying around with a finance post but I don’t know if it will ever see the light of day. I feel like everyone has such different life situations that I can’t just say “pay off your credit card every single month” because that may not be the case for everyones life situation but I do have a lot of practical ideas if anyone is interested.
Let’s spread some positive energy out there instead of always being so quick to jump to those negative vibes! I am always constantly blown away and encouraged to strive for more whenever I read y’alls posts. Seriously us blogger gals are definitely a rare breed! I hope you have a fabulous day!!! xoxoxox