Honeymoon What to Do and See in Santorini Greece

So let’s get right into what to do and see when you are in Santorini.  If you remember from my full honeymoon recap post, Santorini Greece was our favorite part.  I would love to be able to go back one day especially now that I have a feel of the island.

This post has been featured by The Huffington Post.  You can see the published article here.

what to do in Santorini, Greece, honeymoon

What to Do and See in Santorini Greece

First let’s do a quick overview of what Santorini looks like.

santorini greece

See it is a big C if you will surrounding the caldera which is the “active” volcano area.  More on that here. Where we stayed was in the middle of the island it was a town called Imerovigli.  I HIGHLY recommend staying there.  Everyone talks about Oia this and Oia that (pronounced Eee-yah).  Well Oia is on the point and the farthest away from everything.  Also, I personally think the sunsets were the prettiest in Imerovigli because you are straight onto them as opposed to Oia, which is on the point.  Plus in Imerovigli, there are fantastic restaurants walking distance.  We actually kept on running into couples that were taking taxis over to eat in our town from Oia.

Also, in Imerovigli you are a 25 minute walk to Fira.  Fira is the capital and a little more touristy.  That is where all the shopping is and it feels more like a port city if that makes sense.  That is where all the donkeys are if you have heard about Santorini.  We never even encountered them but we will discuss further.  So if you stay in Oia, you are pretty isolated over there.  Don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful but you are just on the farthest point from anything else.

Now let’s chat about how to get there.

You can take the “high speed” ferry or fly.  I put high speed in quotes because it wasn’t.  Our ferry from Athens was 5 hours.  Granted maybe there are faster ones but that is the one that was bought for us.  If you can fly from Athens I would highly recommend it.  Aegan airlines flies you in between all the islands and will take you directly to Santorini, Greece.  Great resource here on the travel aspect.

Once you are there how do you get around?

It all depends on where you stay.  If you take the ferry into Santorini you will arrive at the new port.  Our hotel arranged for a pickup.  We had a large Mercedes van that picked us up and dropped us and a few other couples off.  There are taxis at the port as well.  I would recommend trying to pre-arrange your pick up because I have a feeling they are very expensive at the port.  Read down further about ways to get around the island.

What to do.

Walk/Hike the Caldera Path

The days you want to get moving there are so many things to do.  You can walk the Caldera over to Fira and take in all the sights along the way.  That was probably my favorite day.  It took us an hour to walk over mainly because I kept on stopping and snapping these gorgeous pictures.

caldera viewSantorini HoneymoonHoneymoon in SantoriniSantorini greecesantorini boat

I was so obsessed with doors there.

Santorini door

Take a Tour

There are so many tours in Santorini that you can arrange ahead of time or you hotel can help you.  I was a little leery thinking about the hotel kickback but I did research and they were pretty on point.  We did a Catamaran sailing trip.  They brought you to all the famous beaches, the red, white and black beaches. You can jump off and snorkel, then they take you to the hot springs and finally end with lunch on the boat.  We did the the morning one, they also have a sunset cruise.  It was pricey but really worth it!  Here are tons of other options as well.

Rent Four Wheelers/Scooters

Once again your hotel can arrange this for you.  They will call them, have them delivered and arrange the pickup.  Super easy.  The scooters were around 20 euros a day and the four wheelers 40.  She said that does vary with the peak of the Season (July/August) in Santorini Greece.  We didn’t rent a car just because of how centrally located we were but once again if you need to, your hotel will take care of it for you.

Check Out the Wineries/Beer Tastings

The second form of income in Santorini Greece is their agriculture, aka wineries.  There were parts of it that reminded me of the Italian countryside.  You can either go on an arranged wine tour or pick your own.  The Boutari Winery is beautiful and very educational.  Also, check out the Santorini Brewing company.  Definitely worth it!

Eat Amazing Food and Drink Wine

More on that down below.

Avocado Santorini

Take Hundreds of Pictures

So you can look back and relive the beauty.

Santorini Cliff 2Gold Suitessantorni golds suites

Watch the sunset

Like this one in Fira.

Just Be

For Mark and I just to sit still and relax……I don’t think it has ever happened until we went to Santorini.  We actually just spent one whole day relaxing on our spacious sun deck, bathing in the sun, reading magazines and books.  Then, occasionally glancing up and going…..”can you believe we are really here???  Look at this view?!?!?

IMG_4795
Here is the view of the actual clouds rolling over us.  We initially thought it was fog……nope it’s the clouds.

Where to stay

I am partial to Imerovigli as mentioned above.  If you want complete peace and serenity, stay there.  If you need a little more hustle, then stay in Fira or Oia.  We stayed at the Gold Suites and it was truly a luxury, official website here.  The staff there were incredible.  Anything we needed including aspirin at midnight and a one in a million charger adapter for Mark’s ancient computer plug (but that is a whole different story….just be smart and bring a power outlet).  If we go back to Santorini, we are staying there.  No questions asked.  Plus, a lot of the places include breakfast but made to order anything you wanted with this view????  Yeah, you see why it was a complete dream.

Santorini GreeceImerovigli SantorniGold SuitesSantorini sunset

For other options I refer you to this site.

What to wear

Definitey bring sneakers.  You will need them if you are hiking along the caldera.  Santorini feels like it is uphills both ways…..I’m not joking.  Just bring the sneakers and don’t worry about what you look like.  I also brought a sturdy pair of sandals.  Bathing suits, cover ups and something you can get sweaty in walking.  When we were there since you are so high up it did get chilly at night, so a light jacket or big scarf.  If you go in the heat of the Summer you will most likely be fine.  Also, bring a hat to shield the sun because that sun is strong.

What to bring

Sunscreen.  I cannot stress that enough.  Since you are so high up, you get great breezes but you will burn.  Like I did the first day even with sunscreen on.  Bring 50 and reapply, then reapply again. Dramamine for the ferry or the catamaran.  Sneakers for your hike and the most important your camera to capture all the once in a lifetime sites.

What to eat

Everything.  Our hotel had a hefty breakfast every morning.  Insiders tip you may laugh but pack ziplock bags with you.  Those chocolate croissants at breakfast???  Yeah you know when they taste great?  At 2 in the afternoon after a 45 minute hike.  Thanks Aunt Dona for that tip!  Or make a little sandwich from your croissant and breakfast meats.  Trust me, it is the perfect snack to hold you over to dinner.  This is where we eat.  Avocado and Anogi in Imerovigli (multiple times it was just so good). Then Argo in Fira.  Highly recommend.  I made a reservation for a table with a  sunset view by email and they responded the next day.  Selene is world renowned.  I am disappointed we didn’t get there since the reviews are quite impressive. It was pretty far from our suite and we just ran out of time.

Avocado Santorini Food in Santorinisantorini greece

Takeaway points.  Everyone is very friendly and speaks English.  It is clearly not their first language but you will be able to get by.  Get your Euros before you get over there.  Most places take credit card but they prefer cash.  I will touch on this more but in Europe the tipping system is different.  A lot of times it is included already in the price, so read your bill.  With that said, they do rely solely on tourism for their source of industry so if your service is great, it is greatly appreciated by the locals.  I will have more on this later about traveling in Europe.  Bread and water is not included in your dinner and you will be billed if you ask for it.  It is safe over there but like with all things, just be mindful.  We walked the caldera path at night.  We made sure to stay close to other people on the path and not be entirely by ourselves but that is just common sense.

Also, everyone talks about the stray animals there.  All the ones we saw did have collars on and the restaurants “adopt” them and feed them at night.  I wouldn’t go petting and loving up on them by any means but they weren’t vicious strays like some forums lead me to believe before I left.

So what do you guys think?  Do you feel like you were there?  I tried to be as specific as possible (you know I like to know all the details!)  If you are traveling there soon and have any questions please feel free to email me!  I would love you forever if you could pin and share with your friends.  I want everyone to see how awe inspiring Santorini is!  If you have been there, did I miss anything?  What would you include?
Follow me on Bloglovin ||  Follow my looks along on Instagram || Get my latest blog posts daily to your email here || Pin along with me on Pinterest || Like Meet @ the Barre on Facebook || Check my latest tweet here

p.s if you liked this post click here to see my full review on Athens and our complete honeymoon recap here!

1. June 10, 2015 / 3:24 AM

Your accommodation was gorgeous! When I was in Santorini the entire time it felt like it was a dream, those views are just stunning! Beautiful photo gal!

2. June 10, 2015 / 5:53 AM

I seriously cannot believe how stunning Santorini is. I’ve always wanted to go there and now I want to go even more. I would be just like you guys and just sit there, take in all the views and be like “am I really here right now?!” SO amazing!!

Sequins & Sea Breezes

3. June 10, 2015 / 6:13 AM

OH my goodness, your pictures are amazing. I’ve wanted to go to Santorini for so long and now your post has made that longing even stronger. I am so glad you and Mark got some JUST be time together, that’s such a fun part of the honeymoon, just being married together. I would love to just be and enjoy those amazing views with all of that AMAZING FOOD!!!! OH my word I’m starving and your food pictures aren’t helping ;)! Great post, as always beautiful!

4. June 10, 2015 / 6:18 AM

This post could not be more perfect!!! Saving this so that when Gary and I go we do as you did LOL!! The scenery…the white washed streets and everything is just so gorgeous and that food – drooling!! Great recommendations girl! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

5. June 10, 2015 / 7:52 AM

We stayed in Imerovigli too! And if I ever get the chance to go back, I’d stay there again too :) Beautiful photos!

6. June 10, 2015 / 8:17 AM

Amazing! These pictures are insane and thanks for all the helpful tips!

7. June 10, 2015 / 8:33 AM

i can’t get over these photos – it’s unreal! definitely in my top 5 destinations to go to! and your tips are great – i’m pinning this for later! (hoping it’s sooner rather than later hehe) :)

xo

8. June 10, 2015 / 8:44 AM

Totally pinned!!! This looks AMAZING!!!!! The sunset pictures are so gorgeous!! I had no idea there are wineries in Santorini – I just imagined it was all hills. And beautiful doors!!

9. June 10, 2015 / 8:50 AM

Ok, if I wasn’t already jealous of your trip, I am now! This is amazing. All your pictures look absolutely gorgeous. And the place you stayed… ahhh it looks like a dream! I think that Greece is moving up in the list of places I need to visit ASAP.

10. June 10, 2015 / 8:55 AM

Oh my gosh! This is such a great traveling resource. If we ever go to Greece, you can be this will come in handy.

11. June 10, 2015 / 9:12 AM

Such beautiful pictures and great tips. You have me wanting to take at trip there asap. When my friends went they wished they just stayed there and skipped Mykonos. They just loved Santorini. I would love to know what it is like in the middle of winter. ha I kinda have an obsession of what island life is like during non-peak times.

12. June 10, 2015 / 9:20 AM

This is basically my dream trip. I have to get here in my lifetime. Next time you go, just throw me in your suitcase, k?

13. June 10, 2015 / 9:22 AM

What a dream trip! I can’t even believe how gorgeous it is. A day outdoors reading with some wine sounds like the perfect day! xo

14. June 10, 2015 / 9:28 AM

These pictures are incredible. I seriously cannot get over how beautiful they are. Thank you for sharing those helpful tips too. :-)

15. Tracy
    June 10, 2015 / 9:35 AM

As always a great review..thanks again!!!

16. June 10, 2015 / 9:40 AM

So so beautiful! I will definitely go to Imerovigli next time!

17. June 10, 2015 / 9:55 AM

These pictures are seriously breathaking. What a beautiful place!

18. Darcy
    June 10, 2015 / 9:59 AM

I seirously think I could look at those white buildings forever. I think wine tasting there would be AMAZING!

19. June 10, 2015 / 10:09 AM

Seriously you have kept track of the best and in depth tips and the most gorgeous photos! Everything you did looks fabulous!

20. June 10, 2015 / 10:31 AM

I can’t get over the gorgeous-ness of EVERYTHING! These pictures are incredible and all of the food… yum yum yum. Love the idea of stealing chocolate croissants to take on your hike, my kind of girl ;)

21. June 10, 2015 / 11:17 AM

I can’t get over how gorgeous everything looks, I don’t know how you guys ever decided to come home. I think I’d hide out there. And a 5 hour ferry ride sounds really long, thanks for pointing out that it’s probably better to fly because I’d love to do some Greek Isle hopping in the near future. All of your posts have been fabulously on point and informational <3

22. June 10, 2015 / 11:44 AM

I don’t think I’d be able to STOP taking pictures long enough to do anything. DANG! All the food sounds amazing too!

23. June 10, 2015 / 12:33 PM

your pictures are literally to die for!! I am just so blown away! now i need to go back (with a better camera too!)

24. June 10, 2015 / 1:18 PM

i am so jealous. it looks amazing!! hopefully one day i get to go!

25. June 10, 2015 / 1:29 PM

i’m of the mindset now that when it’s vacay, fuck the budget and hells yes to a ballin’ suite because we work hard, therefore we must play hard. i used to be all budget-conscious when we did vacay but now i’m like, i’m a grown-ass 40yr old woman with a full time job so fuck travelling like a broke college student! your suite and all your greece travels looks amazing. those white buildings against the blue ocean backdrop get me every time i see pictures of them!

26. June 10, 2015 / 3:19 PM

I’m obsessed with how “historic” everything looks. Like stress doesn’t exist there. I can’t imagine how chill the locals are. Love all of your details this will be soooo helpful for someone visiting. You go with those details girl!

27. June 10, 2015 / 3:29 PM

Wow, I love where you stayed! Everyone always talks about Oia, but your option looks even prettier! Your photos are so amazing. :)

28. June 10, 2015 / 4:31 PM

Wow, so many great tips and in-depth info to plan a trip to Santorini and well if those photos are not convincing enough then I don’t know what is. lol Your suite looks absolutely beautiful and private. Just peaceful to relax by the pool and get some downtime. It was nice that you and Mark had the one day to just completely relax.

29. June 10, 2015 / 4:41 PM

I am legit drooling over your pictures. Saving this post for the future trip that I am going to convince my husband we must take ;) Xoxo

30. June 10, 2015 / 4:46 PM

Wow, it all just looks perfect! Such gorgeous views! A lot of great tips in this post, thanks so much for sharing!

31. June 10, 2015 / 5:29 PM

I was already sold, then you like quadruple sold me when you said they have wine country there. Ugh. I am so dying to get over there. Great pics my dear!

32. June 10, 2015 / 5:48 PM

Fabulous post! Your pictures are breathtaking :). There is a Boutari white wine that I love. I think it is Boutari Loutari. I hope to go back to Greece someday!
    Traci
    Waltzmetoheaven.com

33. June 10, 2015 / 6:10 PM

You did a great job with this post! So detailed and your pictures are absolutely stunning! I am dying to go even more now after reading all of your suggestions. xoxo

34. jillian
    June 10, 2015 / 6:40 PM

gorgeous!! i want to go back soooo bad! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

35. June 10, 2015 / 9:01 PM

Holy gorgeous… I can’t even handle how amazing these photos are. I want to go!!!! :)

36. June 11, 2015 / 9:30 AM

So beautiful. I’ve wanted to visit Greece for such a long time. I guess since my pre-teen heart got ahold of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. :) These photos are gorgeous and your tips are really amazingly specific. I am pinning this for later. I’m hoping to get to Europe for a few weeks in the next few years. :) XO-Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

37. June 11, 2015 / 10:32 AM

Amazing – Simply amazing!

So I guess day dreaming after reading all of these honey moon posts (from you and other world travelers I follow ) – I must have woke God up – because low and behold Hubby’s bestie (don’t tell him I called them that) is getting married in CANCUN. Shut up… right? I am SO epic excited – because we HAVE to go, because of their BROMANCE!

Win for the Wife!

38. June 11, 2015 / 11:59 AM

Those views!!!! Pure paradise. I love all the white buildings, and I am so with you on those doors!! They are amazing. Is Greece a theme of decor we can find here? lol!!! But seriously, so gorgeous. I am going to have to come back to all your posts if I ever get the chance to go.

39. June 11, 2015 / 12:23 PM

Girl, you seriously captured some of the most beautiful pics. When every single picture easily belongs in a magazine, you know your surroundings were heaven on earth.

40. June 12, 2015 / 12:21 AM

So many beautiful things to see and eat!! I can’t wait to visit one day!

41. June 12, 2015 / 10:33 AM

Greece looks like such a dream. I’d love to visit someday!

42. Carly
    June 12, 2015 / 10:44 AM

I seriously can’t get over how gorgeous all of your photos are! If I didn’t want to visit Greece before, I definitely do now– what a beautiful place, Santorini looks amazing- those views!!

43. June 14, 2015 / 11:06 AM

Wow, those photos are amazing! It almost doesn’t look real it’s so beautiful! I also didn’t realize Santorini was so big! Looks like an incredible time!

44. June 16, 2015 / 12:48 PM

These pictures don’t even look real! I can’t believe the blue and whites in them. So pretty! So I have a question about how you booked everything. Obviously, you did your research but did you still use a travel agent? I noticed you mentioned something about the ferry being booked for you. Just wondering what the easiest way to do a trip like this is? Would you recommend doing it all yourself and online?

45. June 16, 2015 / 7:26 PM

Santorini is most def on my travel destination radar. We have Maui for a week in 3 months – and I cant wait for some vacation therapy

46. June 17, 2015 / 7:59 AM

Those pictures are stunning! Thanks for the tips about locations to stay. It’s always good to have insider tips! I’m desperate to visit Santorini. Those views, that architecture, blue and white everything. Beautiful!

47. Kelsey Yates
    July 12, 2015 / 3:47 PM

Hey!! I’m going on my honeymoon this August! Would love to email you!! But couldn’t find your email! So I figured I would do it this way!!

Thanks!

Kelsey!

48. Naomi
    July 24, 2016 / 8:10 PM

Wow, what a great time you had, congratulations on your marriage, and you got to enjoy your honeymoon in Heaven, well that is what I called it. We stayed in Imerovigli also when we stayed here in 2000, in a little place called Chromata, just awesome. I love reliving our trip through others travels and seeing all the pictures. We have travelled all over the world and seen some sensational sights, but Santorini still is our favourite. I remember when we got there, (Imerovigli) I could’t speak for a short time and once I came to my senses I realised that is where the term ‘Breathtaking’ came from, it literally took my breath away. Thanks for the time travel, I really enjoyed it. Naomi.

49. August 12, 2016 / 4:34 AM

We wish you visit again Santorini….. Beyond the beauty of the sunset in Oia and the blue domed churches built along the cliffs of the caldera, Santorini is an island with “many faces” and waits for you to see all of them and discover hidden pahts and flavors…

50. Yelena
    April 13, 2017 / 5:02 PM

I will be in Santorini in June 2017 and cannot wait! i loved your blog. will be pinning it and forwarding it to my family and friends who i;m going with. will love to try the restaurants you mentioned. will be back to comment once i return! thanks!

51. May 30, 2018 / 5:57 AM

Wow, I love where you stayed! Loved this post. We are actually heading to Greece for our honeymoon in June!thanks for sharing your valuable information with us