DIY – How To Make a Unique Holiday Gift Basket

When Mark and I first started dating and had to iron out the holidays he told me Thanksgiving was one of his favorites.  That was perfect for me because I could take it or leave it.  I’m more of a Christmas kind of gal.  So the holidays have been decided and so far it’s worked out great!  The first year I went to his parents I was nervous…..what present to bring?  I wanted to make sure I included something that both of his parents would enjoy then my little brainchild was born.

I picked up some fun things….fudge, pumpkin salsa, pretty candle, note cards, chocolate, wine etc…..

Arranged them.

Get this bag.  I stole it from my mother but she said you can also get them from Michaels.

Then place inside this sweet bag and use a hairdryer and watch the magic happen.

Fasten with a twist tie and add one of these sweet printable tags.

It went over fabulously and now it has become tradition!

What do y’all think?  I really love all the thought that goes into specialized baskets like this instead of buying one from Homegoods.  Let me know if you end up making one I really look forward to making this every year!

1. November 20, 2014 / 5:12 AM

i spy bags from the christmas tree shoppes!! woohooooo! wow the hairdryer trick, ha, i had no idea.

2. November 20, 2014 / 11:02 AM

WOW, that looks fabulous! You are so crafty, lady! Nice trick with the hairdryer!

Oh and loooove your green top!

3. November 20, 2014 / 11:20 AM

I love gift baskets! Perfect way to incorporate everything!

4. November 20, 2014 / 11:43 AM

I have always wanted to make a gift basket not sure why it hasn’t happened yet!! I think filling the basket would be the most fun!!! Really great gift for anyone!! Great job girl!! xo

5. November 20, 2014 / 12:05 PM

How fun!! I’ve never made a gift basket before but this turned out so cute!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

6. November 20, 2014 / 12:20 PM

Gift baskets are such a perfect go to for the ones you’re unsure what to buy. Love the idea!

7. November 20, 2014 / 1:05 PM

I swear, the idea of a gift basket is so often overlooked and it’s LITERALLY the perfect idea! I love this so much I can hardly stand it. Thank you for the idea because I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re going to do this year! Such a great plan friend!

8. November 20, 2014 / 1:06 PM

This is fabulous! Loving all the little goodies inside, and it almost looks too nice to open :)

9. November 20, 2014 / 1:15 PM

Baskets are totally my thing, but apparently I needs to try that bag thing!!! Ps… How excited am I to find a friend who can take or leave Thanksgiving… because I totally feel the same way!!

10. November 20, 2014 / 1:24 PM

Um, the hairdryer trick? Genius! I love making gift baskets. World Market has a fantastic selection of baskets and little trinkets to build a custom basket with.

11. November 20, 2014 / 1:28 PM

making them is WAY better because inevitably you will have cooler stuff than homegoods. bc you know that 50% of a pre-made basket is usually crap. the end. :)

12. November 20, 2014 / 2:07 PM

I’m doing this for all the married couples in my family! It’s so much easier than trying to find something for each person. Just make a cute basket of goodies.

13. November 20, 2014 / 2:09 PM

I always see the bag cellophane thingys at Michaels, and have never bought them. I always want to, though. I love receiving gift baskets!

14. November 20, 2014 / 2:17 PM

SHUT UP with the hair dryer trick! Why didn’t I think of that?! This is great for two reasons: 1) you can cater the basket to what people actually like and 2) it’s far cheaper to do it this way! I remember I was trying to find a basket for my MIL last year and it was about $100. That’s nuts. This isn’t. High five.

15. November 20, 2014 / 2:39 PM

I love this!! So much better than buying the prepackaged ones!

16. November 20, 2014 / 2:44 PM

Definitely love it, specialized is great because you can add things the person will love!

17. November 20, 2014 / 2:55 PM

What a great idea! Love that you personalized it. I had no idea about the hairdryer trick either! That makes it look so much more professional. Thanks for sharing girl!

18. November 20, 2014 / 4:28 PM

So cute and so fun to make yourself! Probably a lot cheaper, too – some of those baskets can get $$$! I may have to steal this for a couple people at Nicks work that we always get gifts for :)

19. November 20, 2014 / 4:29 PM

It looks so pretty! I need to use your tips next time I make one. I made one in September that wasn’t nearly this pretty haha. That darn plastic wrap!! I think making gift a basket is so much better than buying a pre-made one… it’s quite easy to do and like you said, it’s way more personal. :)

20. November 20, 2014 / 4:43 PM

You have me craving everything that you put into that basket!! Great tips–I’ll have to remember this the next time I do a big gift basket! :)

21. November 20, 2014 / 5:04 PM

I love making my own gift baskets! We do it at work all the time for raffles, etc. Our Bed Bath and Beyond has a World Market section and they sell the basket, with the filler and the plastic wrap for like $4.99, it’s perfect!

22. November 20, 2014 / 5:12 PM

I love a good basket and I love that you can use every single thing in them (including the basket!)! Now I want to go make one!

23. November 20, 2014 / 5:14 PM

I can never make mine look good. More like a 3 yr old threw things together.

24. November 20, 2014 / 6:07 PM

I love love love making baskets like this! I usually find myself at World Market for all of the fun things!

25. November 20, 2014 / 6:22 PM

Wow girl, this is such an awesome idea… I need to do this for Ryan’s parents. What kind of bag is this exactly?? What is it called?

26. November 20, 2014 / 7:23 PM

well that is just brilliant. I suck at getting big gifts, so I always get a bunch of small things and put them in baskets but I never thought to do a fancy bag hair dryer contraption.

27. November 20, 2014 / 7:47 PM

LOVE this- great ideas on the basket :) I love making them for people- especially out of towners. I always like to put a few local goodies in there for them to try!

28. November 20, 2014 / 8:06 PM

Thanks for the hair dryer tip! I love making gift bags and baskets for friends and family. The hair dryer thing makes it just look so much nicer

29. November 20, 2014 / 9:28 PM

Oh I love gift baskets! They are my favorite kind of gift to give! They’re so much fun to put together!

30. November 20, 2014 / 10:11 PM

Great idea I love stuff like that. Thank you for sharing lady! :-)

31. November 20, 2014 / 10:14 PM

I’m with you! I make my own. Love your picks… especially that pumpkin salsa. xo

32. November 21, 2014 / 2:01 PM

I love to give gift baskets and they truly are so easy to make! This is usually my go-to for baby showers and birthdays!
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

33. November 21, 2014 / 10:51 PM

Love, love, love this idea! I just never remember to have the plastic to contain everything so I’ll have to check Michaels the next time I’m there!

34. November 22, 2014 / 12:59 AM

I love the idea of making your own custom baskets! Stockings are my favorite because of all the fun little things… this is like the same only you can do it ANY time!

35. November 22, 2014 / 2:55 PM

I always mess up that damn plastic wrap! You make it look so easy! Haha :) But I do love the idea of homemade baskets with randomn goodies!

36. November 23, 2014 / 9:14 PM

Oh my mom always makes these type of gifts! She works at Marshalls so she gets to snag the best stuff. She helps me make them one up for my in laws for Christmas. They love it! xo