Zucchini Noodles – Recipes You Make When Men Are Gone

Alright I got a recipe for y’all.  I have been trying to cut back on the carbs at night so I’ve been on a mission to find as many sub and dupe recipes that I can.  Every since the cauliflower mashed potato incident of 2013 a certain somebody will not go near my “healthier version” cooking no matter how tasty it really is.  So when that certain somebody had a late softball game I got to hauling out the ole spiralizer and getting to work.

This is one of my high protein low carb favs Zucchini Noodles with Meat Sauce.  First when picking your Zucchini’s for your spiralizer you have to be picky.  Look for the straightest and longest ones you can find………I’ll let you think that one over for a second.

via tumblr

The reason being when they are straight they spin so much better on the spiralizer.

Here is the Spiralizer that I use (Amazon naturally).  Don’t use the hand held shenanigans.  It doesn’t work.  This bad boy takes up precious real estate in my storage laundry room but it is worth it.

You will need two pans, one for the noodles and one for the meat.  Get your sauce simmering and get to making your noodles.

I used the smallest blade attachment that it comes with.  Chop off both ends and then place one end into the grated side and the other into the blade.  Then just crank the handle.

Out comes beautiful noodles.

Sauté those bad boys up with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper for about 2-3 minutes.  Then I browned up some ground turkey.  Seasoned the heck out of it because let’s be honest ground turkey really doesn’t have much flavor.

Spoon the ground turkey over the noodles with some sauce and a tiny sprinkle of cheese and voila you have a carb conscious filling meal plus leftovers for lunch if your male counterpart doesn’t particularly care for zoodles.  I think they are delicious and someone is missing out ;-)

There you have it!  Have you made zucchini noodles like that before?  They reheat the next day perfectly!  This is definitely going to be on repeat for the next few months that is for sure!  xoxoxo

1. October 15, 2014 / 4:29 AM

I’m going to HAVE to add this to my kitchen! Thank you for sharing!!

2. October 15, 2014 / 5:52 AM

Lmao my husband saw just a picture of a vegetable being spiralized and said nope. It was in my new cookbook from Oh She Glows and he insisted the husband in the picture had a look of misery on his face. Haha looks like delicious veggie noodles to me. To be fair, he did eat the noodles covered in avocado sauce I made.

3. October 15, 2014 / 10:49 AM

I was just looking at the sprializer yesterday and telling Gary we need to buy one!! I have wanted to make something like this for ages now – obviously I need to buy this ASAP!!

4. October 15, 2014 / 11:08 AM

I don’t have a spiralizer!! What is wrong with me?!?! Amazon.com is my jam, so I can make this happen asap (or in 2 days, thanks Prime). but this meal looks delicious and healthy! I think my husband would even eat it!

Maggie

5. October 15, 2014 / 11:39 AM

Amanda to save the day!!! I am going to need to hop on Amazon and order that spiralizer shit immediately. I need these low carb “noodles” in my life bad.

6. October 15, 2014 / 12:10 PM

I have the Veggetti from Bed Bath and Beyond and it works so well! Brian actually loves the zoodles too, so it makes meal planning easy!

7. October 15, 2014 / 12:38 PM

A spiralizer is on my shopping list when I am back in the states!

8. October 15, 2014 / 12:39 PM

LOL I can barely get away with using ground turkey instead of ground beef to try to be healthier. If I tried to break out the zoodles I’d probably be served with divorce papers the next day ;) Love how easy the Spiralizer is though!! Great recipe!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

9. October 15, 2014 / 1:09 PM

Bahahaha that OITNB gif is my new favorite! I love zoodles, such a great little pasta substitute! I have a handheld gadget that actually works pretty well but one day I’ll graduate to the grownup spiralizer.
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

10. October 15, 2014 / 1:12 PM

I’ve been wanting a spiralizer and my husband doesn’t get it because he doesn’t eat that kind of thing! haha That dinner looks so good though!

11. October 15, 2014 / 1:17 PM

i haven’t made these in ages!! excellent and delish reminder to do so!

12. October 15, 2014 / 1:19 PM

I NEED this spiralizer! I highly doubt Nick would touch this meal (he complains whenever I make anything with ground turkey) so this’ll be one for when he has a late hockey game ;) I like your thinking!

13. October 15, 2014 / 1:19 PM

Hi – long time, no comment – but I still read everyday :) Anyway, thanks for sharing this – I have been looking for a spiralizer but wasn’t sure which kind to get – this one looks awesome, I think I will buy it!!

14. October 15, 2014 / 1:23 PM

I wish I liked Zucchini!! That looks so good. I too try not to eat carbs at dinner. Having salad every night gets boring fast.

15. October 15, 2014 / 1:26 PM

I would have a field day with that Spiralizer. Such a fab idea, I want one haha. That recipe sounds delicious too. Thank you for sharing and I hope that you are having a good day so far! :-)

16. October 15, 2014 / 1:27 PM

Oh yum, this looks so good and I love how healthy it is! Adam wouldn’t touch anything like this with a ten foot pole so maybe I will make it when he’s out of town!

17. October 15, 2014 / 1:38 PM

haha I’m glad I’m not the only one who has a skeptical ‘male counterpart.’ There was an incident with a spaghetti squash once and I don’t think he’ll ever try that again. lol. But I’ve always wanted to try zoodles, but I don’t have a spiralizer! Must try this when hubs is out of town sometime.

18. October 15, 2014 / 1:56 PM

I love zoodles! My fave is sautee the zoodles in coconut oil, an egg on top with hot sauce, feta, and a few slices of tomatoes…soooo good!

19. October 15, 2014 / 2:09 PM

zoodles, LOVE it! I need a spiralizer, sounds like a good thing to add to my Christmas list!

20. October 15, 2014 / 2:11 PM

Zucchini Noodles are THE $#!T – Have you tried Carrot Noodles? My son ate those up like NOBODIES BUSINESS.

I got this fantabulous gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond for my Bridal Shower – I’m thinking of picking up a spiralizer so I can quit just using the potato peeler – nobody got time for that!

But yeah – looks super YUM!

21. October 15, 2014 / 2:22 PM

You need to get the Veggetti… it curls the zucchini like that… & so much smaller.

22. October 15, 2014 / 2:54 PM

Omg I need to make this!

23. October 15, 2014 / 3:41 PM

This looks SO yummy!!!

24. October 15, 2014 / 4:41 PM

Yay! It’s like recipe Wednesday up in the blogland. We’re all on the same wavelength and I love it!

I have a fancy pants food processor that makes this shape, so I should get on this. Looks yummy!

25. October 15, 2014 / 4:43 PM

my cousin makes the best zucchini lasagna. seriously SO good.

26. October 15, 2014 / 4:47 PM

Ive got to try these – and this concoction actually looks pretty tasty overall!

27. October 15, 2014 / 4:52 PM

we both love zoodles at my house! Harrison said the reason he likes them is because i didn’t say “we’re having pasta” then serve these. I just said “we are eating squash noodles”. hahaha

28. October 15, 2014 / 5:09 PM

Sounds good. I keep hearing about the spiralizers and it’s making me want one! My husband is diabetic so it would be great for substituting carbs and tricking small children into thinking they’re noodles!

29. October 15, 2014 / 5:27 PM

I’ve wanted a spiralizer for soooooooooooooooooooooo long. I’ve heard great things about zucchini noodles, especially in chicken noodle soup, to substitute instead of noodles.

30. October 15, 2014 / 6:45 PM

Love the “recipes you make when the men are gone…” haha hilarious! I love making spaghetti squash, and my boyfriend was very apprehensive the first time. He doesn’t hate it though! But the zoodles — I need! xo

31. October 15, 2014 / 6:57 PM

I’m glad you reminded me about this!!! I need to get one stat – I actually think this is something my hubby might eat too (pending the sauce had meat in it)

32. October 15, 2014 / 7:02 PM

I’ve always wanted a spiralizer but then I wonder if I’d actually ever use it or not! Once I get back into the art/science of meal prep I may reconsider – and will reach out to you for proper zucchini selection tips as well ;)

33. October 15, 2014 / 8:52 PM

oooo yummy! I had to laugh because I too made mashed cauliflower for my hubby once and he was disgusted, so yes, that has become something I cook when he’s not around! I need to invest in one those spiralizers, seems totally worth the real estate it takes up.

Brooke

34. October 15, 2014 / 9:01 PM

oh yumm! I’ve always wanted to try this out but need get one of those spiralizers. I think the husband will like it if i load it with spaghetti sauce. haha

35. October 15, 2014 / 10:35 PM

I’ve been seeing recipes for zucchini noodles all over Pinterest, I think I might have to jump on the bandwago, if for no other reason than to say that I own a spiralizer

36. October 15, 2014 / 10:38 PM

I want one of the noodlizers! I saw one at Wal-Mart but I think it was a hand held. I will have to get one of these! I like zoodles waaaay better than spaghetti squash and I can get used to having a gadget get this ready for me.

I didn’t tell my bf that the cauliflower was mashed or that the lasagna we had was with zucchini and he didn’t even know. Once I told him he was very surprised but I had to hide it til after we ate or he wouldn’t have liked it.

37. October 15, 2014 / 10:49 PM

This looks AMAZINNNGGG!!!! Good job!

38. October 15, 2014 / 10:52 PM

I want a spiralizer thingy so I can make zucchini noodles. KC liked the cauliflower rice but prefers normal rice and I don’t think he’d be up for trying veggie noodles… sigh.

39. October 15, 2014 / 11:44 PM

How have I NEVER heard of this? Let’s be honest I probably won’t go out and buy a noodle maker thing but I would love to try them!!!

40. October 16, 2014 / 1:17 AM

i have yet to make zucchini noodles BUT i need this machine in my life. registery item? YES! and the blog title cracked me up.

41. October 16, 2014 / 3:13 AM

Definitely wanting one of these! Mandolins are too dangerous! And btw, you are eating way too healthy with your man gone. Isn’t that the time to splurge. :)

42. October 16, 2014 / 3:25 PM

I LOLED at the title of this post, so true. I’ve been wanting to make these for a while and still haven’t gotten the courage. I made Cauliflower “rice” once….and ew. Just ew.

43. October 16, 2014 / 4:16 PM

We’re cutting carbs also because both of us need to lose weight and we’ve been using spaghetti squash as a noodle substitute. I’ve been wanting to try zucchini noodles and this really doesn’t seem too difficult.

I made cauliflower mashed potatoes a couple of weeks ago. They were surprisingly good.

44. October 16, 2014 / 4:35 PM

i don’t think you understand how badly i want this noddle maker!

45. October 16, 2014 / 8:33 PM

Pasta is literally my favourite thing to eat so I love finding less guilty ways that I can sneak in my diet. That black bean pasta and zoodles are some of my faves! Subbing quinoa for pasta is great for leftovers if I can remember to put it on when I get home. I just stick it in the rice cooker and top it with veggies and sauce so I’m still getting some sort of protein since I’m not really a meat fan.

46. October 17, 2014 / 12:18 AM

Those sound amazing! Whenever I get married I am for sure registering for that lovely tool!

xo, Jen

^hosting my first giveaway on the blog today!

47. October 17, 2014 / 12:54 AM

This looks delicious! I make zucchini lasagna a lot since I don’t have a spirulizer, but I think I may just need to invest in one!

48. October 17, 2014 / 3:07 PM

Hahaha Girl, I so had a cauliflower mashed “potato” incident of 2012!! I scarred the whole family! They are very leery when I’m testing out dupes now! Note: Cauliflower does NOT taste like potatoes. haha I have been wanting to make zoodles, I need to order this like now!
    xo Krissy @ Sneakers and Sequins

49. October 17, 2014 / 6:25 PM

Amazon for the win like always! I’m going to buy this right now…those peelers/mandolins/etc. DO NOT work as good!